PGI Chandigarh Convocation rescheduled; Doctors plan boycott
Chandigarh: The 35th convocation of the premier Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh (PGIMER) which was going to be held on Monday, the 4th February 2019 has been postponed to Friday, the 9th February 2019 at 10.00 A.M. in the Bhargava Auditorium at the medical institute's premises.
The postponement has reportedly not gone well with the doctors who were going to come to the occasion to receive their degrees.
PGI Chandigarh having national importance is one of the most prominent medical institutions in the country at present. Around 1,500 students of MD, MS, MSc, BSc and other courses are awaiting degrees to be conferred since 2016. The last convocation was held in September 2015. It was the 34th convocation of the institute where Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the chief guest.
For the upcoming convocation which will be held after a gap of three years, the Union Health Minister JP Nadda was going to be the guest of honour. However, now the convocation got rescheduled since the Minister has been called by the honourable Prime Minister for an important meeting on February 4 leaving no space for the convocation.
This has indeed not gone well with the doctors, many of them who were coming form abroad just to attend the convocation.
The resident doctors at the institute have also launched a signature campaign to boycott the convocation. According to a recent report by The Indian Express, doctors, especially those staying abroad have dropped emails to President of Association of Resident doctors, Dr Uttam Thakur stating that their resentment be lodged and they will boycott the convocation, if scheduled on February 9.
"There are around 100 such doctors and most of them are coming from the USA to get their degrees. At such a short notice, it is impossible to get tickets cancelled," Dr Uttam Thakur, President of the Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), PGI told TOI
He further said, "As the convocation is being held after a gap of three years, thousands of doctors are coming with their families and some have already arrived. It's inconvenient for them."
The ARD members had met the director on Tuesday to apprise him of the problem. "The director told us that the health minister has been called by the PM on the same day in Delhi for an urgent meeting. Therefore, the convocation has been postponed," said Dr Deep Kanth, Vice-president, ARD.
Doctors were an unhappy lot as none of them was part of the meeting and were given orders on Tuesday to attend the convocation on February 9, adds the daily.
The ARD has now decided to ask PGI Director to hand over the degrees on the previously scheduled date.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THOSE WHO PLAN TO ATTEND CONVOCATION
A notice regarding the postponement has also been uploaded on the official website of PGIMER, which states,
"It is to inform you that the XXXV Convocation scheduled to be held on 4th February 2019 at 11.30 A.M has been re-scheduled for Saturday, the 9th February 2019 in Bhargava Auditorium of PGIMER, Chandigarh. A full-dress rehearsal for the purpose will be held on Friday, the 8th February 2019 at 10.00 A.M. sharp in the Bhargava Auditorium. A copy of the detailed programme and necessary instructions are given overleaf for your information. Please note that attendance at the rehearsal is compulsory. Those who do not attend the rehearsal will not be admitted to the Convocation."
"Kindly confirm your participation in the Convocation by 5th February 2019( positively) through above-mentioned e.-mail, so that we are able to make necessary arrangements accordingly. Any change in the programme will be updated in the official website of the Institute. It is also intimated that the students who have already confirmed their participation in Convocation are also requested to re-confirm the same. Eligible students working/studying in PGIMER are also required to confirm their participation on said e.mail," the notice adds.
Please note that only one accompanying guest per candidate is allowed. Due to space constraint, the guest will be allowed entry in a separate area where proceedings of convocation will be televised. While confirming your participation, also let us know the details of your accompanying person.
INSTRUCTIONS TO THE RECIPIENTS OF DEGREES AND MEDALS
REHEARSAL 8th February, 2019
CONVOCATION 9th February, 2019 VENUE : BHARG AVA AUDITORIUM
The candidates receiving degrees at the Convocation shall wear the academic costumes as specified below:-
Name of the Examination Colour of the Gown Colour of Hood
Ph.D./DM/M.Ch Black with Golden Facing White with Brown Lining with light mauve
MD/MS/MDS/MHA/MPH -do- White Golden lining with black mauve
B.Sc Black Black
The Academic gowns and hoods will be available on hire basis on the day of Rehearsal on usual changes provided confirmation for attending the Convocation is received in this office by 5th February 2019.
Candidates will attend the rehearsal on 8th February 2019 at 10.00 A.M.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ATTENDANCE AT REHEARSAL IS COMPULSORY AND ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES WHO ATTEND THE REHEARSAL WILL BE ALLOWED TO GET THE DEGREE AT THE CONVOCATION.
A candidate who does not intend to appear at the Convocation, in person can obtain his/her degree, in absentia, by paying a fee of Rs 300/- by sending Demand Draft in favour of Director, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
FOR CANDIDATES ATTENDING THE CONVOCATION.
- Be punctual for rehearsal as well as for convocation.
- Enter the Auditorium on Convocation Day with your Gown and Hood from Gate No-1
- Occupy your seat 60 minutes before the arrival of the Chief Guest.
- Do not leave your seat during rehearsal and Convocation proceedings.
- Occupy your correct seat. Note the row number and seat number allotted to you on rehearsal day and remember your neighbours on the left and right.
- Please ensure that you have signed the Roll Call sheet on the rehearsal day otherwise your name will not be included amongst the candidates receiving the degrees at the convocation.
- Please do not bring personal Camera/mobiles/handbag etc. in the auditorium.
- After you have received the degree, you will kindly bow to the Chief Guest and Director before returning to your seat.
- In case there is any discrepancy in your degree awarded to you, please see the undersigned immediately after the convocation is over. No objection shall be entertained later.
- All the guests, as well as candidates for the award of degree and medals, will please stand in decorum.
- when the National Song or National Anthem is being sung/played.
- when the academic procession enters or leaves the Convocation Hall.
- All to stand up when the academic procession enters the Auditorium and remain standing till the persons forming the procession take their seats. The same procedure will be followed when the procession leaves the Auditorium.
- Only one Guest per recipient of degree is allowed. The guest will be allowed to watch the convocation through the televised screen in separate hall/lecture While confirming your participation, also let us know the details of your accompanying person.
Students are also requested to view the PDF document attached below for the list of candidates who will receive degrees at the xxxv convocation of the institute to be held on 4th February 2019.
For more details, please visit the official website of PGIMER given below: