Upto Rs 1 lakh fine; Cancellation of Medical Admission: JIPMER spells out Penalties for Ragging
Puducherry: The premier Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER) has issued a circular spelling out the acts which are considered as ragging as well as the awardable punishments for the guilty MBBS, PG or other medical students who indulge in these acts.
The circular signed by the Dean Academics also informs about the constitution of Anti Ragging Committee at the Institute which will take the decision on the ragging cases depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence including suspension of the guilty medicos and fine upto Rs 1 lakh.
Any conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of harassing, teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
- Abetment to ragging
- Criminal conspiracy to rag
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging
- Public nuisance created during ragging
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt
- Wrongful restraint
- Wrongful confinement
- Use of criminal force
- Assault as well as sexual offences or even unnatural offences
- Criminal trespass
- Offences against property
- Criminal Intimidation
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s)
- Physical or psychological humiliation
- All other offences following from the definition of "Ragging"
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging shall be any one or any combination of the following:
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in ay test I examination or other evaluation Process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution In any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival,
- Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel
Cancellation of admission
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specific period
- Fine of 25,000/- and Rs. 1 lac.
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment
The Anti Ragging Committee constituted by the medical institute management comprises Dean (Academic), Faculty (Academic), Registrar (Academic), Prof. & Head of Anatomy, Prof. & Head of Biochemistry, Prof. & Head of Physiology, Prof. & Head of Psychiatry, Warden - Harvey House, Warden & Dy. Wardens — Osler House, Warden & Dy. Wardens — Curie House, Warden — Old Curie House, Warden — Blockwell House, Warden — Lister House, Deputy Warden - Lister House, Officer In-charge of Common Facility of New Hostel Complex, Welfare Officer, Public Relation Officer as well as Students Representatives.
The notice adds, "The Anti-Ragging Committee Members are requested to cooperate to curb the menace of ragging. The Members of the Anti-Ragging Squad may visit the hostel, canteen, hostel mess and such other places where ragging often takes place. List of the names of the Anti-Ragging Committee with their cell numbers will be provided to the first year MBBS students at the time of admission."
For more details click on the official website of JIPMER Puducherry is mentioned below: