UP MBBS admission Scam: Govt refers the matter to CBI
New Delhi: The UPCMET-2015 MBBS admission scam is going to see a thorough investigation as the government has referred the matter to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for investigation.
Confirmation to this effect was given by Shri Amit Biswas, Under Secretary in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare who in a letter on February 8 to petitioner Surender Singh Hooda, said: "the matter has been referred to the CBI for further investigation."
Hooda, an investigative journalist, had filed the petition seeking a CBI probe into the alleged corruption in the UP Unaided Medical Colleges' Welfare Association that conducted the UPCMET-2015. Hooda in 2015 conducted a sting operation at K.D. Medical College in Mathura, UP. It exposed the holes in the admission process in private medical colleges reports IANS.
Read Also: Illegal MBBS, BDS Admissions: CBI registers FIRs against Medical College, University, Unknown MCI officials
With both the Health Ministry and the Medical Council of India (MCI) not forwarding the case to the CBI, Hooda in 2016 filed public interest litigation (PIL) in the Delhi High Court.
Hooda has challenged in the court based on his evidence collected through a sting operation on a medical institute in Mathura. He alleged that the college was providing admission, by receiving payment of Rs 35 lakh. Candidates were being admitted to the medical college even though they had not appeared for UPCMET 2015, or applied for admission by filling up the form.
A bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath issued notice to Department of Health and Family Welfare of the Health Ministry and MCI and sought their responses on the plea which has sought a probe by CBIor any independent agency into the alleged corruption in UP Unaided Medical Colleges Welfare Association which conducted UPCMET-2015.
Last year, Hooda made fresh representations to the Medical Council of India Board of Governors with more evidence. After analysing it, the MCI BOG referred it to Preeti Sudan, Secretary, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, stating the issue "requires in-depth investigation by multiple agencies, which is out of the purview of the Council, therefore, it is recommended that this matter may be handed over to the appropriate investigation agency."
The MCI's letter to the Ministry also noted that there were discrepancies in the MBBS admissions made by four medical colleges.
"Truth will be revealed and those who deprived almost 1,900 genuine students aspiring to get an MBBS seat in private medical colleges of UP in the academic year 2015-2016 must be punished for their unethical and illegal act," Hooda said.
Read Also: False Promise of MBBS Seats: CBI books 4 on NEET Director’s complaint