Chennai: A protest was staged in Chintadripet recently, by approximately 150 students of the Rajah Muthaiah Medical College, Annamalai University, and their parents, along with the Doctors Association for Social Equality.
The students and others raised the following demands:
- bringing the fees charged at the college in line with that of State government medical colleges,
- affiliating the institution to the Tamil Nadu MGR Medical University and bringing it under the Directorate of Medical Education
- giving patients free treatment at the attached hospital.
At an earlier hunger strike held in the city, students had raised the following points:
- While the university was run by the State government since 2013, the fee charged was much higher than at State medical colleges.
- patient inflow into the hospital was low because it charged for everything
A representative of DASE revealed that though they had an appointment with the Governor, on Wednesday, they had been asked to come on another day.