CHENNAI: Of the various MBBS and PG medical seats applied for by the state of Tamil Nadu, it has received approval of 56 postgraduate medical seats so far for the academic year 2019-20.
The confirmation to this effect was recently given by an official from the state health department to the daily New Indian Express who informed that the 56 approved seats are in the following courses
- Six (6) seats for MD Community Medicine for Madras Medical College Chennai
- Four (4) seats of MD Respiratory Medicine for Madurai Medical College
- Four (4) seats in MD Community Medicine for Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Eight seats(8) in MD General Medicine for Government Theni Medical College
- 4 seats of MD Pediatrics at Kanyakumari Government Medical College
- Government Dharmapuri Medical College got 8 seats in MS General Surgery
- Government Villupuram Medical College got 8seats in MD Anaesthesia
- Kilpauk Medical College got 2 seats in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy (MD DVL), 2 seats in Ophthalmology (MS) and 2 seats in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (MD).
- Thoothukudi Medical College has bagged an approval for eight seats in MD Anaesthesia
As per the daily, the state had applied for the total of PG medical seats. Besides this, Medical Dialogues had earlier reported that following the last chance given by the Health Ministry to all medical colleges to convert their PG Diploma seats into MD/MS seats, the Tamil Nadu government was reported to have put forward 393 Post-Graduate (PG) Diploma seats including those in specialisation of Gynaecology, Dermatology and Orthopaedics in front of Union Health Ministry for conversion to PG degrees.
“We had applied for approval of 157 seats, among them, 56 seats have been sanctioned so far,” a health department official told the New Indian Express.
Moreover, the official added, “We have also asked for conversion of 393 diploma seats to PG seats this academic year and the approval is awaited for the same. We started receiving the seats from the last three months. Yesterday, we received four seats.”
The state is reported to also be making an effort to augment its MBBS seats
“The State is also awaiting sanction of additional 354 MBBS seats. We have asked for additional 150 MBBS seats for Karur Medical College, 95 seats for Madurai Medical College. With these figures, the MBBS seats will go up from 150 to 250. We have also asked for 100 seats for Tirunelveli Medical College,” the official told the daily.
“We will get approval for MBBS seats and pending PG seats for this academic year. We are positive about it,” an official from the Directorate of Medical Education told the daily.