Dehradun: While MBBS students at the defunct Shridev Suman Subharti Medical College (SSSMC) are finally receiving some respite, the faculty is still in a dilemma.
As mentioned in a recent report by TOI, during a recent hearing of the Subharti case, the Supreme Court has ordered the medical college administration to return Rs 2 lakh security deposit of the students within two weeks. However, on the matter of providing jobs to the faculty of the institute which was left unpaid and unguaranteed with any work after the shutdown of the medical college, the government has shown no development.
The state government reportedly told the apex court that the teachers of subharti medical college can apply for government jobs whenever there will be a vacancy and hence immediate hiring will not be possible.
The medical college was shut down after various discrepancies were noticed in the institute. Medical Dialogues had been extensively reporting about the controversial case of self-financing Subharti Medical College.
- On December 6, the Supreme Court had ordered the Uttarakhand government to take over the land, buildings and assets of the Medical College within 24 hours and run it as a government entity thereafter. This decision was taken in view of the petitions filed by a group of 74 NEETqualified students, who were admitted to the first year MBBS course. The students moved the apex court saying that as there was a lack of infrastructure and faculty, they should be transferred to any other medical college in the state.
- At that hearing, the Deputy Advocate General (DAG) of Uttarakhand J K Sethi told the bench that the state would be willing to take over the college along with its entire infrastructure and assets, both movable and immovable so that it could meet the norms of MCI and affiliated with HNB Medical University.
- In the next hearing, the state had revealed the irregularities that persisted at the Subharti University. The DAG Uttarakhand stated that the institution was making a “mockery of education” and all the students were being taken for a ride.
- On 13th December, the staff of the shut medical college including over 400 doctors, medical teachers and paramedical staff protested inside the university campus demanding pending stipends and clarity regarding the status of their employment.
- The agitating employees had demanded that the medical college should be returned to its old management with the Subharti University.
Then the state government decided to start the admission process for 1st and 2nd-year MBBS students.
The teachers of the Subharti Medical college have also requested the court to think about their future and hence the court has asked the Uttarakhand government to figure out possible ways to adjust the teachers of Subharti Medical college in the government ones.
Now during the recent hearing on the case, the state told the SC bench that teachers of Subharti Medical College can apply for government jobs whenever there will be a vacancy and hence immediate hiring will not be possible.
A source from government has told TOI that the college administration had asked the apex court to allow them to take another batch of medical students in 2019-20, which the court has refused.
Subharti Medical College owner, Dr Atul Krishna Bhatnagar told TOI that Subharti Medical College is ready to return the security deposits of the students and also the original documents.