Mumbai: With the Supreme Court scrapping the plea filed by the Maharashtra government against the HC order ruling the Socially and Economically Backward Classes (SEBC) quota inapplicable for this year’s PG Medical Admissions, affected students tried meeting Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis at his official residence but were stopped by the police.
While this SC order has been a major blow to the Maharashtra government and SEBC quota candidates who had already taken admission on the basis of the Maratha quota while cancelling their seats that they had acquired via All India Quota counselling; the open category (meritorious) PG medical aspirants are clearly delighted.
These students say that as the other ways of seeking admission, such as entrance exams- have already got over, these students are afraid of losing their academic year.
The Maharashtra government has announced that it would bear the entire educational cost of one year if these students adjust admissions, but it is not covering all the affected students.
“We will have to intensify our agitation if the solution is not found at the earliest. It was not our mistake to seek admissions under the quota, but we are now suffering from it,” said Abhay Patil, one of the affected students.
On May 4, the division bench of honourable Justices Sunil Shukre and Pushpa Ganediwala ruled in their order that the March 8 notification about the implementation of the new 16 per cent reservation for the Maratha community, under the SEBC quota; shall not be applicable to the PG medical admission process, which had started earlier.
In response to the HC order, the state had moved the SC seeking an ex-parte stay on the High Court’s judgment and leave to file an appeal against the said judgment.
SC bench of honourable Justices Nageswara Rao and MR Shah felt that since the admission process had already begun last year the HC order was right.
“Section 16 (2) of the SEBC Act bars the grant of reservation if the process of entrance test had already started before the Act came into force. State counsel Mukul Rohatgi said that the students who had been given seats under the SEBC quota were allotted admissions also under the all India quota. They had left their allotments under the All India and come to Maharashtra hence they would stand to lose.”
The Supreme Court has extended the deadline for admissions from May 18 to May 25
Medical Dialogues had been extensively reporting about the reservation issues in the state.
- On November 30 last year, the Maharashtra Legislature had passed a bill proposing 16 per cent reservation in education and government jobs for the Marathas, declared SEBC by the government and hence it decided to grant them the reservation.
- As of now, in Maharashtra, 50 % of medical seats in government-run medical colleges are for reserved category (SC/ST/OBC/ VJNT). Out of the other 50% which is known as the open category; 14% of seats go to Persons with Disability (PwD), defence and other quotas. There is also a special quota (depending on eligible candidates) for students from the reserved categories who are eligible for an open quota seat based on their scores, ranging from 3%-5%.
- In addition, 10% has been fixed for medical students belonging to Economically Weaker Section (EWS) quota.
- Further, the implementation of 16% Maratha quota was done which left a meagre 5 % for candidates vying medical admission on merit basis.