This site is intended for Healthcare professionals only.

New Eligibility Rules for Quota MBBS Admissions in Chandigarh laid


New Eligibility Rules for Quota MBBS Admissions in Chandigarh laid

Chandigarh: In compliance with the Punjab and Haryana High Court order, the Chandigarh Administration has laid down a new set of eligibility guidelines for Union Territory (UT) quota admissions to the MBBS course offered by Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH), Sector 32.

Earlier, the HC had held as “arbitrary” the condition in the residence clause which allows ‘students even from outside states to become eligible after passing class XII examination from institutes recognized by UT Chandigarh without insisting on residence as an essential eligibility condition’. In view of the same, the court had directed the Chandigarh administration to take a decision within two months to frame the guidelines in order to determine the criteria of residence for availing admission under UT quota from next academic session.

Abiding by the HC order, the Administration formed a committee headed by Dr BS Chavan, Director-Principal, GMCH-32; to frame the guidelines for fixing the eligibility criteria for MBBS admission to state quota seats at the Medical College.

With the new guidelines in place, MBBS candidates who have passed Class X, XI and XII from schools/colleges recognized by the Administration and situated in the UT, as a regular student, will be eligible for MBBS admission. Earlier, students, who had passed Class XII from schools/colleges in the UT were eligible. Following are the new eligibility rules:

  • MBBS Candidates, whose parents are residents of Chandigarh for the past five years preceding the date of application, even if they do not satisfy the schooling criteria, will also be eligible for MBBS admission.
  • A residence certificate issued by the office of the Deputy Commissioner will be considered as a proof for the purpose. MBBS Candidates whose parents are employees of Central Government/state government and are on deputation with the UT Administration, including government employees of the UT, employees working in autonomous bodies/companies in which the UT has 20 per cent or more share for the past three years preceding the date of application, even if they do not satisfy the above criteria, will also be eligible for MBBS admission.
  • The class condition in the new criterion will be implemented in a staggered manner. To begin with, in 2019, the eligibility rule will be limited to Class XII; this will be extended to Class XI in 2020 and, finally, Class X in 2021.

However, MBBS candidates of all three above categories will have to submit an undertaking/affidavit that the candidate has not opted for and claimed the benefit of residence in any other state/UT other than Chandigarh after the declaration of the NEET result, adds Tribune.

Confirming the establishment of new criterion, an official from the UT Administration told TOI, “The new eligibility rules have been framed on the orders of the Punjab and Haryana high court. UT administrator V P Singh Badnore has already given the customary go-ahead to the rules.”

As per the rule, 15 % of the total seats of medical course at GMCH-32 are filled from All India Quota, while remaining 85% are filled from those who had passed class-XII from Chandigarh. Chandigarh has its share 77 MBBS seats at the GMCH, of these, 63 are left for the General Category.

In early September, Medical Dialogues had reported that from next year on, the students from outside Chandigarh, who passed their class XII from the Union Territory would not be entitled to get reservation under UT quota for admission in medical courses in Chandigarh unless they are able to show a valid residency.

The HC passed these orders while disposing of a plea filed by aspirants seeking MBBS admission at GMCH 32. The petitioners, who are residents of the UT and had completed their education from the city as well, objected that residents of other states, who were passing class XII examination from Chandigarh, are getting admission in MBBS under the 85% quota.

After the hearing, the HC directed the UT administration to take a decision within two months to frame the rules to determine the criteria of residence for the purpose of availing admission under UT quota from next academic session.

The bench also made it clear that the candidates, who have sought the benefit of residence in any other state would be debarred from claiming seats in any other States/ UT, Chandigarh.

Read Also: MBBS Admissions: HC junks Chandigarh UT quota as arbitrary, slams non-inclusion of residence clause


Source: with inputs
0 comment(s) on New Eligibility Rules for Quota MBBS Admissions in Chandigarh laid

Share your Opinion Disclaimer

Sort by: Newest | Oldest | Most Voted