New Delhi: Considering the emerging need to increase the pool of competent and skilled specialists and subspecialists in the field of Paediatric Dermatology, the National Board of Examinations (NBE) has introduced a new fellowship course in Paediatric Dermatology.
With the introduction of this new course, a 1-year Post-Doctoral FNB Programme in Paediatric Dermatology; NBE has now invited applications from eligible interested institutions/hospitals/medical colleges which fulfil the criteria as laid down for this programme by NBE for fresh accreditation.
Details of the minimum accreditation criteria are available on NBE website www.natboard.edu.in under the quick link “Accreditation Online”.
Indicative Outline and requirements specific to FNB Paediatric Dermatology
Candidates in possession of recognized MD/DNB Dermatology qualification shall be eligible for this fellowship course. Entrance and Exit examination shall be as per applicable NBE norms for NBE Fellowship (FNB) courses.
To provide comprehensive high-quality standard training and expertise to dermatologists in Paediatric Dermatology.
At the end of this course, the fellow should be able to –
Aim & Objectives of the Programme
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of basic science and principles of diagnosis and treatment in neonatal, infantile and paediatric skin.
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of neonatal and inherited disorders and common and rare specific paediatric dermatologic diseases
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of emergencies in Paediatric dermatologic diseases and their management
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the psychosocial impact of Paediatric dermatologic diseases
- To gain proficiency in using drugs including immunosuppressive in children, with appropriate knowledge of indications, contraindications, dosage, laboratory monitoring, drug interactions and adverse effects.
- To gain knowledge and access to resources for appropriate genetic work-up of genodermatoses as required.
- To gain knowledge in the full range of paediatric dermatologic procedures.
- To acquire skills to diagnose and treat common skin conditions in the paediatric population competently.
- To reliably diagnose, investigate and manage long term skin conditions including but not restricted to atopic dermatitis, genodermatoses, vascular lesions and inflammatory disorders.
- To reliably recognize cutaneous signs and symptoms of internal diseases in children, and effectively investigate and manage, and appropriately consult other specialities as required.
- To identify cutaneous signs and symptoms of rheumatologic and autoimmune conditions, to appropriately investigate and manage, and to know when to refer to a pediatric rheumatologist.
- To identify cutaneous infections and infestations, and appropriately investigate and treat.
- To recognize cutaneous manifestations of neurocutaneous diseases, appropriately investigate and manage and to refer if needed.
- To recognize signs and symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases and sexual abuse, to appropriately investigate and manage, and consult appropriate authorities as needed.
- To acquire proficiency in the full range of paediatric dermatologic procedures.
- To demonstrate effective communication skills and be able to build rapport with patients, parents, families and colleagues.
- To demonstrate effective teaching skills to students and resident doctors.
- To exhibit an understanding of clinical audit and clinical research in paediatric dermatology.
- To be able to exhibit ethical integrity and show respect and dignity when dealing with students, colleagues, patients or families
3) Statement of expected competencies
- Diagnose common paediatric dermatologic conditions, and be able to appropriately investigate and manage them.
- To be able to investigate for uncommon pediatric dermatologic conditions as required, and manage them appropriately.
- To be able to recognize signs and symptoms of internal diseases, sexually transmitted diseases and sexual abuse, to appropriately investigate and manage, and refer and/or consult other colleagues as required.
- Acquire proficiency in paediatric dermatologic procedures including dermoscopy, smear taking, scrapings, skin biopsy (punch, shave, excisional, incisional), NBUVB, electrosurgery/radiofrequency surgery, cryosurgery, curettage,
intralesional injections, patch testing, laser (if available)
- Exhibit effective communication skills and ethical integrity while dealing with patients, parents, families, students and colleagues.
- Able to provide necessary inputs/ value-added contribution in pediatric cases where a multi-disciplinary approach is relevant / or sought for.
Nature of the Programme: Post-Doctoral Fellowship programme (FNB)
Nomenclature of the Programme: FNB in Paediatric Dermatology
Programme duration: 1 year:
Attached below is the Eligibility Criteria for the FNB Paediatric Dermatology.
For more details, click on the link given below:
NBE grants accreditation to institutions/hospitals in the public and private sector all over the country for the purpose of training of candidates in various specialities and disciplines of modern medicine. The examination body administers the DNB Super Specialty Programme in 30 disciplines.