New Delhi: Considering the emerging need to increase the pool of competent and skilled specialists and subspecialists in the field of Dermatopathology, the National Board of Examinations (NBE) has introduced a new fellowship course in Dermatopathology.
With the introduction of this new course, a 1-year Post-Doctoral FNB Programme in Dermatopathology; NBE has now invited applications from eligible interested institutions/hospitals/medical colleges which fulfil the criteria as laid down for this programme by NBE for fresh accreditation.
Details of the minimum accreditation criteria are available on NBE website www.natboard.edu.in under quick link “Accreditation Online”.
Indicative Outline and Requirements specific to FNB Dermatopathology Programme
Candidates in possession of recognized MD/DNB Dermatology qualification shall be eligible for this fellowship course. Entrance and Exit examination shall be as per applicable NBE norms for NBE Fellowship (FNB) courses.
Aim & Objectives of the Programme:
To provide comprehensive high-quality standard training and expertise to dermatologists in Dermatopathology
At the end of this course, the fellow should be able to:
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of basic science and principles of diagnosis in dermatopathology including the normal structure of skin and other organs
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of identification of histopathological reaction patterns- both related to skin and other organs and their differential diagnoses.
- Acquire knowledge about grossing of specimens, histopathology stains, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of specimen fixation – skin, nail and scalp biopsy; specimen for immunofluorescence, immune-mapping including orientation of specimen during its embedding, taking right section for processing, blister specimen orientation and sectioning.
- Acquire technical knowledge on basics of histopathology and microscopy techniques including-microscope types and their usage; scalp biopsy: vertical and horizontal sections, nail biopsy: processing, embedding, and sectioning.
- To acquire competence in performing all technical and invasive procedures essential for the practice of dermatopathology
- To acquire the skill to develop appropriate diagnoses or differential diagnoses
- To develop skills to evaluate and improve laboratory and medical practice and medical knowledge on an ongoing basis; developing familiarity with management, administration in the Dermatopathology laboratory
- To develop skills to participate in quality assurance and quality improvement procedures and exhibit an understanding of audit in Dermatopathology
- To develop skills to appraise and assimilate evidence from scientific studies; apply knowledge of study design and statistical methods to the appraisal of clinical and pathologic studies; use of information technology to manage information and to support continuing education activities; facilitate learning of students
and other health care professionals.
- To develop skills to participate actively in research or other scholarly activity
- To demonstrate effective communication skills and be able to build rapport with patients, parents, families and colleagues.
- To demonstrate effective teaching skills to students and resident doctors.
- To be able to exhibit ethical integrity and show respect and dignity when dealing with students, colleagues, patients or families.
(3) Statement of expected competencies
- Must demonstrate proficiency in reviewing and diagnosing dermatopathological specimens including grossing of specimens, fixation and processing techniques, and slide preparation and staining.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in ordering and interpreting appropriate special procedures: special and immunoperoxidase stains, immunofluorescent procedures,
- Must have some basic concepts of laboratory management
- Acquire proficiency in picking up the mismatch between clinical impression and histological findings
- Exhibit effective communication skills and ethical integrity while dealing with patients, parents, families, students and colleagues.
Nature of the Programme: Post-Doctoral Fellowship programme (FNB)
Nomenclature of the Programme: FNB in Dermatopathology
Programme duration: 1 year
Also, look at the Eligibility Criteria for the FNB in Dermatopathology Programme attached below.
For more details click on the link given below.
NBE grants accreditation to institutions/hospitals in the public and private sector all over the country for the purpose of training of candidates in various specialities and disciplines of modern medicine. The examination body administers the DNB Super Specialty Programme in 30 disciplines.