Indore: The Supreme Court order passed on Wednesday asking the Directorate of Medical Education (DME) to provide admission to the 37 candidates who were selected by the three private medical colleges in excess of the seats allotted to them, comes as a relief to the students whose admissions had earlier on been cancelled.The SC bench that passed this order on Wednesday comprised of Justice Deepak Mishra and Amitabh Roy.
Read also:MP: DME summoned to court over medical admission issue
The alleged exaggerations in scores granted by the officials of the Directorate of Medical education (DME) during counseling sessions seemed (prior to the SC ‘s Wednesday order) to have put an end to many a medical career. The fate of those suffering due to the inflated merits was then dependent on the Supreme Court order to be passed on Wednesday, in response to the petition filed pertaining to it. Following are student reactions of those who had become victim to the alleged exaggerated merits granted by the DME.
Barkha Jain a 19-year medical aspirant, having earned an impressive 435th rank early this year is one of the 37 students whose admission has been cancelled by the DME due to the Medical Council of India’s ruling that bars more than 150 students in every college for MBBS courses in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
In her narration, Jain said, “At first, I got admission in the Government dental college, Indore, but it got cancelled after the court notified that non-domicile students cannot take admission. Then the SC allowed us to sit for the counselling of MBBS courses till October 7. After attending college for a week, my admission has been cancelled.”
Another New Delhi student, Rohan Garg 21, said, “I have three years drop to my credit. I was so happy when I made it to a decent medical college. I had settled in the hostel, attended a week’s college and they called me one day to the dean’s office, notifying me that the admission has been canceled.”
“If the DME had done its math correctly, it could have saved us from inconvenience. There were six more colleges wherein we could have applied,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Director, Medical Education (DME) will move the Supreme Court against the order of the High Court’s Indore bench asking private medical colleges of Ujjain and Dewas to re-admit the MBBS students whose admission had been cancelled by the colleges on the plea that they had been granted seats above the capacity of the college.
A submission to this effect has been made by the Principal Secretary, Medical Education Department, Prabhanshu Kamal. He was replying to the contempt petitions being heard by the high court against him. He declared that the decision to file the petition at the Supreme Court had already been taken; and a suit would be filed next week.
The contempt petition filed by 29 petitioners through their counsel Aditya Sanghi, accuses Kamal for not complying with the court’s order dated November 8, where the department has been asked to re-admit the students.
On Tuesday, a division bench of Justice PK Jaiswal and Justice Virendra Singh adjourned the case for a week; listing it for December 8. The students who had filed the petition had been admitted in MBBS courses at the Amaltas Institute of Medical Sciences (Dewas) and RD Gardi Medical College (Ujjain) on October 7. However, on October 21, they received a letter from the DME cancelling their admission and asking the students to take back their fees.
“The students then filed a petition against this order in which the court passed the final order quashing the DME’s decision. A similar petition had also been filed at the principal bench of Madhya Pradesh high court in Jabalpur, in which students who had been given extra seats at Bhopal’s People’s Medical College had sought re-admission in the course,” said Sanghi .