MBBS Admissions in Gujarat: Domicile Rules amended; New Medical College comes up with 150 Seats
Ahmedabad: With MBBS admissions around the corner, the Gujarat Medical Education Department has issued a notification informing about the various changes in the state's medical admission process for this academic year 2019-20.
The Gujarat Professional Medical Educational courses (Regulation of Admission in Undergraduate courses) (Amendment) Rules, 2019 involves the changes in domicile selection, the establishment of a new medical college and the implementation of EWS quota for this academic year.
The amendment uploaded on the official website of Admission Committee for Professional Under-Graduate / Post-Graduate Medical Education Courses (ACPUGMEC/ACPPGMEC), spells out the following:
- Students born in Gujarat and have cleared standard 12 from Gujarat will not have to produce domicile certificate, but those not born in Gujarat and have cleared standard 12 from boards approved by Gujarat, will have produce domicile certificate.
- Students from Diu, Daman and Dadra and Nagar Haveli, who have passed standard 12 from schools affiliated to Gujarat board have also been exempted from providing domicile certificate.
- A new medical college has also commenced in Dadra and Nagar Haveli. Out of its 150 MBBS seats, 10 have been allotted to Gujarat and the admission committee for medical courses will decide on these admissions.
The relevant from the notification is mentioned as under:
- in sub-rule (1), the words "or overseas citizen of India" shall be deleted;
- for the words "be the Domicile of Gujarat State” the words “be born in Gujarat State or be the Domicile of Gujarat state" shall be substituted;
- after the existing proviso the following proviso shall be added. namely:- "Provided further that the candidates of Union Territories of the Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli shall be exempted from this sub-rule for the academic year 2019-2020
- in sub-rule (3), after the first proviso, the following proviso shall be inserted. namely: "Provided further that for the purpose of admission for the academic year 2019-20 only, the candidates who have studied and passed 10th standard from the school located outside the state of Gujarat shall also be eligible";
Furthermore, the notification informs:
For the purpose of the admission of the candidates from the Union Territories of Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli to MBBS course, maximum of 10 seats shall be allotted on basis of the merit-cum-preference and choice in the admission process. And for the purpose of admission in other courses, candidates of the Union Territories of Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli shall be eligible on the basis of merit for all the seats
In addition, the notification informs that 10 per cent quota for Economically Weaker Sections (EWSs) will be implemented in the state.
Medical Dialogues had reported about the same where it mentioned that as a corresponding increase to MBBS seats in view of the EWS reservation, 35 seats will be added in each medical college making 914 new seats for MBBS course. On the whole, it takes the total number of available seats in 2019-20 to 5,264.
The seats have also been increased for allied courses including:
- Dental seats have gone up from 1,140 to 1,360
- Ayurveda seats from 1,780 to 2,115
- Homoeopathy seats from 3,525 to 4,160
- Nursing seats from 16,240 to 19,975
- Physiotherapy seats from 4,535 to 5,435
- Other para-medical courses seats from 320 to 390.
The notification on the amendment further adds:
In the said rules, in rule 9, in sub-rule (1) for clause (v), the following clause shall be substituted, namely:-
"(v) Caste Certificate or Eligibility Certificate as the case may be, for the candidate belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) and Economically Weaker Sections (EWSs), issued by the authority empowered by the Government in this behalf (for SC, ST, SEBC and EWSs candidates).