The Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi has been denied an increase of 9 seats in their MS-General Surgery course. The college had applied for an increase from 07 to 16 seats.The denial comes primarily in the face of faculty shortage.
The Postgraduate Medical Education Committee after having considered the Compliance Verification Assessment Report along with the Council Assessor’s Report (April, 2017) and compliance dated 30.06.2017 submitted by the college authorities, decided to recommend not to recognize MS(General Surgery) qualification against increased intake from 07 to 16 seats granted by University of Delhi, in respect of students being trained at Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi because of the following facts:-
1. The Institute is recognized for 250 UG seats; hence 8 Units with total 24 faculties are required; however, total 16 faculties only are available. Resultantly, there is deficiency of faculty: (a) Asst. Prof.: 8.
- Units 5, 6, 7, 8 have only 1 faculty each; hence they cannot be considered as a teaching Units.
- Dr. Deepak Ghuliani is promoted as Professor after cut-off date; however, in the column “Benefit of publications” in the faculty table, it is stated ‘NIL’ against the requirement of 4; hence his promotion is not as per Regulations &he cannot be considered.
- Services like Upper GI Endoscope, Colonoscope is not yet provided by the department.
- Other deficiencies as pointed out in the Assessment Report.
The PG Medical Committee of the Medical council of India also stated that Admissions when done (if any) against these seats i.e. increased intake from 07 to 16 seats after the first batch appears in the Examination till their recognition will be irregular/ illegal and not in accordance with MCI regulations (notified with prior permission of Central Government vide notification dated 21/07/2009) and will not be recognized. As per provisions of the Postgraduate Medical Education Regulations, 2000, failure to seek timely recognition as required shall invariably result in stoppage of admission to the concerned Post Graduate Course.