Karnataka: Medico on polio drive falls from 2nd floor, critically injured
Bengaluru: Sachin Menon a 21 year old volunteer for the BBMP pulse polio immunization campaign is in a critical condition. Sachin Menon allegedly fell from the second floor of an apartment in Jayanagar on Tuesday, to the ground floor. Sachin was allegedly trying to escape an unleashed pet dog. The victim has suffered severe head injuries.
The police on the spot claim that the dog was inside the house and when it started to bark, Menon panicked and tried to run away from the barking animal.
"Although Sachin has undergone a successful surgery, he's still critical due to formation of blood clots in his brain. The next 48 hours are crucial," said Dr Arun L Naik, Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon, Apollo Hospitals. Although Sachin has undergone a successful corrective surgery, he's still critical due to formation of blood clots in his brain. He also has a fracture in his left thigh bone. He is in the neuro intensive care unit now and the next 48 hours are crucial," said Dr Arun L Naik, Senior Consultant, Neurosurgeon, at Apollo Hospital, Bannerghatta Road.
The victim was on his second day rounds of the BBMP's community level program, under the national polio immunization campaign. The incident occurred on the second floor of a private apartment around 10.30 am. He was there to give polio drops, when a unleashed pet dog in the corridor- pounced at him. A panicky Sachin took a few backward steps, and as fate would have it, slipped and fell.
A volunteer accompanying Sachin during the drive said, "The dog which was in the corridor wasn't on leash. Even before we could reach the door, the animal started barking and began jumping on Sachin which scared him. Sachin stepped back without looking behind. Though he tried holding onto the railings, he lost grip and fell on the ground floor."
A non-cognizable case (where there are no offenders or crime involved) has been registered by the Jaya Nagar police..
A police officer stated, "We have been told that the family wasn't at home and their pet dog was locked inside. The volunteer got scared of the barking dog and, out of panic, jumped from the second floor."
Dr Manoranjan Hegde, BBMP Health Officer, South Zone, said, "It's a sad incident. It's for the first time in the history of a national immunization campaign that such an accident has taken place. Now that we have realized there are possibilities of such mishaps, we will come up with some safety measures for our volunteers at the earliest."
The victims father an ENT specialist at Thrissur Medical College and his mother, a pathologist at Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Thrissur --are on their way to Bengaluru to be by their son’s side reports the TOI.