Puducherry: After the recent development of alleged misconduct in JIPMER MBBS entrance examination by All India NR Congress MLA Ashok Anand, the controversy seems to be only getting deeper. Anand recently said in a press conference, he would move to the Madras High Court seeking stay on the admission process till the university come up with clarification over the examination process. He said, he would meet the Lt. Governor Kiran Bedi seeking her intervention.
Anand has further implied in his allegation on the institute that a scam is taking shape at Jipmer, under which non deserving candidates have been granted admissions by accepting bribes amounting to Rs 1 crore and higher. Anand now demands a probe in to the matter and also stopping admission procedure scheduled at Jimper, till the inquiry is completed.
Jipmer had held its entrance exam in two batches earlier on June 5. Anand has implied that the morning batch exam was alleged to be tough, followed by the afternoon test which was easy to score. This is the first time Jipmer conducted the exam in two shifts. This decision was taken in view of the huge application numbers received by the institute. 1,55,193 candidates had applied for the exam this time.
On the delay in uploading the answer key on the institute’s website, Jipmer dean (academic) Dr. S Mahadevan said to TOI that the process to upload the key will be done 24 hours after uploading the question paper. “Usually the key will be available online three or four days after the examination,” he said. He denied allegation that outstation candidates were selected under Puducherry quota and pointed out that the institute followed the Puducherry government order on nativity criteria for Puducherry students.
JIPMER, in the meantime has notified that the candidates should go-ahead with the verification of their documents from June 20 to 23. The provisional admission order is expected to be released on June 29, 2016. The academic session will begin on July 1, 2016.
In the middle of all this, it is also reported that a delegation of various associations have recently met Lt. Governor Kiran Bedi to intervene in the matter of alleged irregularities in MBBS admissions.
The associations made a submission of a memorandum, seeking immediate attention on the matter of passing orders for implementation of 50% MBBS seats allotment to CENTAC from the private medical colleges/Deemed Universities.
After holding discussion with private medical college’s management and universities, the issue has been sorted. Government has now secured 283 MBBS seats under the state government quota. These seats will be filled through CENTAC.
Health Minister Malladi Krishna Rao said to Hindu, “Last year, the government was able to procure 273 out of 1,050 seats which were available with those private institutions. Now we were able to get 283 seats out of 1,000 to government quota which would be filled through CENTAC and it was a good achievement on the part of the present government.”
Asked why it was not possible to procure 50 per cent seats as promised in his party election manifesto, the minister said that was not possible now since the current academic admission is too near.
The minister also implied that for PG medical courses, it will add more seats under the government quota next year, since admissions for this year in private medical colleges has been completed for PG courses.