IGNOU launches PG certificate course in CBRNE Disasters Management; MBBS graduates can apply
The Post Graduate Certificate programme of the School of Health Sciences (SOHS) shall be on offer in the University through ODL mode from January 2020 session.
The course has been developed by IGNOU in collaboration with Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and active support from Integrated Defence Staff (IDS) through open and distance learning for MBBS doctors.
PG certificate programme in Medical Management of CBRNE Disasters
The details of the Programme are as follows:
The term CBRNE stands for ‘Chemical Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive’. Disasters related to such agents can occur accidentally. However, when used intentionally they become agents of mass destruction.
CBRNE disasters are ill-understood, diagnosis is difficult and very little management tools exist to manage these disasters, including medical management. Medical management of CBRNE disasters require specific knowledge and skill set that is not covered in the undergraduate curriculum. India is particularly vulnerable to CBRNE attacks. Thus, society and governments need to create special provisions to deal with them.
After completing the programme, the learner should be able to:
- comprehend the parameters, enormity and complexity of CBRNE threat from a medical perspective
- describe the impact of chemical, radiological, biological, explosive and nuclear agents on human health
- assess the health effects of a CBRNE scenario using external and internal assessment tools
- discuss regarding the medical countermeasures, detection equipment and SOPs of medical management of CBRNE impacts.
- deliver first aid and initiate immediate life-saving responses to a CBRNE disaster
- develop competencies on protection, mitigation and medical management of CBRNE casualties
- get sensitized about the current R&D initiatives and future directions.
The course is for:
- Medical personnel & students engaged in or interested in disaster medical management
- Doctors in armed forces, police forces, health services, railways, airports/ports, & NDRF or State disaster forces who have to or can be called on to respond in face of CBRNE disasters.
- Doctors working in or for organizations considered vulnerable to CBRN attacks or accidents such as industrial complexes, Shrines, melas, areas prone to terror attacks, border towns etc.
- Faculty in all large and medium-large hospitals (public & corporate sector)
- Medical Management staff of all referral hospitals
- Retired doctors who want to contribute to the Nation’s strength & medical security in CBRN.
The programme will be offered through Dehradun, Jodhpur, Hyderabad and Bhopal Regional Centres only.
Minimum Duration: 6 Months
Maximum Duration: 2 Years
Course Fee: Rs. 5,500
Minimum Age: No bar
Maximum Age: No bar
MBBS (recognised by MCI). Only Indian Citizens would be considered.
For more details click on the given website: