Finally: Subharti medical college medicos to find a place at government medical colleges
Dehradun: Finally, the long-delayed counselling of 300 first and second-year MBBS students of the defunct Shridev Suman Subharti Medical College (SSSMC) has been completed.
TOI reports that with the process in completion, MBBS students will now have to deposit the fees; take admission and appear at the allotted Government Medical College by May 4.
These MBBS students had been running pillar to post urging the state government to accommodate them to other medical colleges since December last year when the medical college was shut down after various discrepancies were noticed in the institute.
Medical Dialogues had earlier reported about the case of self-financing Subharti Medical College. On December 6, the Supreme Court had ordered the Uttarakhand government to take over the land, buildings and assets of the Medical College and run it as a government entity thereafter.
This decision was taken in view of the petitions filed by a group of 74 NEET qualified students, who were admitted to the first year MBBS course. The students moved the apex court saying that as there was a lack of infrastructure and faculty, they should be transferred to any other medical colleges in the state.
At that hearing, the Deputy Advocate General (DAG) of Uttarakhand J K Sethi told the bench that the state would be willing to take over the college along with its entire infrastructure and assets, both movable and immovable so that it could meet the norms of MCI and affiliated with Dehradun’s Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Uttarakhand Medical University (HNB Medical University).
The SC had made it clear that if the university affiliates the institution and MCI grants requisite permission, the students can sit for the first-year examination of MBBS course to be conducted by the university.
Further, in an affidavit filed with SC on January 15, the MCI backed the idea to shift MBBS students of the medical college to other medical colleges running across the state.
Uttarakhand government decided to start the admission process of these MBBS students to other private and government medical colleges across the state on the basis of their NEET score within two weeks.
The officials added that both year students will be again made to sit for the first-year exams after the medical college is allotted to them. However, sources from the government had informed that time that the 2nd year MBBS students had approached the SC against the clause which makes them reappear for the first-year exam.
The counselling of 300 MBBS students was held on March 6.
However, the students were not happy with the court’s decision on moving them to private colleges. 74 students filed an application in the apex court. Considering their plea, the SC had ordered to the state to accommodate them to GMCs.
In response to this SC’s verdict, the MCI filed a review petition which was later rejected.
Now, the counselling process for Subharti MBBS students is finally over.
Confirming the news to TOI, Dr Vijay Juyal, Registrar HNB University; said that all the 300 students of Subharti Medical College appeared in the online counselling that started on Saturday, April 27th.
“We have uploaded the results, based on student’s NEET score, on the website on Monday evening. The students will now have to deposit the fees and appear at the allotted college by May 4,” he informed.
The university authorities further clarified that the MCI had increased 100 seats in all 3 government medical colleges in the state to accommodate Subharti students, in special arrangements. “This seat increment was not permanent,” they added.
On the part of SC order where it was directed that 2nd year MBBS students will have to reappear in the 1st year exam after admissions along with the first year students, Dr Juyal informed that this order will be followed. The exam dates will be declared in the second week of May, he added.