Madurai: The Madurai bench of the Madras High Court has recently issued a directive to the Ministry of AYUSH ordering it to approve the application filed by an educational trust for opening up an Ayurveda Medical College for the academic year 2019-20.
The order came in view of the petition filed by Immanuel Arasar International Institute of Science and Technology Educational and Charitable Trust, Kanniyakumari; challenging AYUSH Ministry’s June notification.
The trust was seeking approval prior to the notification against receiving fresh applications for establishing new AYUSH colleges for 2019-20 and 2020-21, as if it doesn’t get the approval now, it would drastically affect the institute financially.
During the hearing which was held recently, the petitioner submitted the following contentions:
- It intended to run an Ayurveda college from the year 2018-19 and for that purpose, it had created adequate infrastructure in 2017.
- In addition, an application was made seeking a ‘no-objection’ certificate and for affiliation for the college.
- However, following the Ministry’s notification, the permission for the Ayurveda Medical College was denied by the Ministry and the Central Council of Indian Medicine.
- Now, if the trust fails to get the approval for the MInistry, it would affect the institute as it had already spent money towards building the college on 5.28 acres of land.
- A ‘no-objection- certificate was obtained from Tamil Nadu Health and Family Welfare department after infrastructural facilities and records were verified.
Thus, contending the aforesaid, the trust had sought a direction for grant of permission to run the college from the academic year 2018-19.
The Hindu reports that after hearing the plea, honourable Justice V Parthiban observed,
“The process for seeking approval had commenced prior to the notification and by a subsequent notification the trust’s right to start the college could not be taken away.”
The court asked for a counter affidavit from the Ministry and accordingly ordered it to grant approval by completing the process expeditiously.
The next and final hearing of the case has been adjourned till November.