A new director for NIPER, Mohali soon
Mohali: A new Director will be taking on the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Mohali, chair soon. At a meeting on Monday, the newly-constituted Board of Governors (BoGs) gave their consent to the starting of the selection process for this purpose.
Former Secretary, Department of Health and Research, and Former Director General, Indian Council of Medical Research Mr. VM Katoch chaired the meeting of the board of governors. Mr. Katoch called for good governance at the institute, emphasizing on it being the need of the hour for better growth.
NIPER, Mohali is located about 250 Km north of Delhi at S.A.S. Nagar (Mohali), Punjab on a total area of 130 acres.
It is the first national level institute in pharmaceutical sciences with a proclaimed objective of becoming a centre of excellence for advanced studies and research in pharmaceutical sciences.
The Government of India has declared NIPER as an 'Institute of National Importance'. An autonomous body set up under the aegis of Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India, the Institute is conceived to provide leadership in pharmaceutical sciences and related areas not only within the country, but also abroad in countries like South Asia , South East Asia, and Africa. NIPER is a member of Association of Indian Universities and Association of Commonwealth Universities.
The institute's mission:
- Imparting quality education in the areas of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Promotion of innovative and translation research
- National/ international collaborative research and linkages
- Study of national/ international pharmaceutical policy issues
- Collaboration with pharma industries to meet the global challenges
- Creation of specialized centres to cater to the needs of pharmaceutical industries and other research and teaching institutes
- Conducting programmes on drug surveillance including study of sociological aspects of drug 'use and abuse'
- Community pharmacy and pharmaceutical management
- Continuing education programme