The order of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, dated 26 September, 2016 has infused a new lease of life in students all over the country for as per the directive of the Supreme court mandated Oversight Commitee, it ha granted permission to 9 medical colleges all across the country. While some medical colleges have got approval for the first time, many have been given a permission for renewal, and many allowed re-intake of students after the earlier de-recognition
The nine institutions included in this list and the number of seats are as follows:
- Sridev Suman Subharti Medical College, Dehradun, Uttarakhand – This is a new medical college that has been granted permission of establishment, with the annual intake of 150 MBBS seats for the academic year 2016-17
- Sambraham Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Kolar- Another new medical college in the state of Karnataka, under the management of Sambraham Charitable Trust has been granted an intake of 150 seats for MBBS for the academic year 2016-17
- Sree Gokulam Medical College & Research Foundation, Trivandrum, Kerala- Has been granted a renewal of admission for its 6th MBBS batch with an increased intake from 50 to 150 seats for the academic Year 2016-17
- Maharashtra Institute of Medical Education and Research, Talegoan, Maharashtra- Granted a renewal permission for 3rd batch MBBS from a 100 to 150 seats for the academic year 2016-17 and stoppage of de-recognition of 100 seats .
- Mallareddy College for Women, Hyderabad, Telangana- granted renewal permission for admission for its for its 4th MBBS batch with an intake of 150 seats for the academic year-2016-17
- Chintpurni Medical College, Pathankot, Punjab- granted permission for 150 student intake for an MBBS course for the academic year 2016-17
- KMCT Medical College, Kozhikode,Kerala– increase of student intake from a 100 to 150 in its MBBS course for the academic year 2016-17
- Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Satara, Maharashtra-Granted renewal of permission for admission to the 5th MBBS batch with a student intake of a 100 seats for the academic year 2016-17
- Jawahar Medical Foundation’s Annasaheb Chudaman Memorial Patel Medical College, Dhule-Maharshtra-Permission granted for a fresh batch with 100 seats for the academic year 2016-17
With these approvals, medical seats in the country would be enhanced for the year 2016-17.
However, as mandated by the Oversight Committee, the approvals come with a series of riders. It is reported that after 30th September, 2016, fresh inspection of these medical colleges shall be undertaken to see whether they are complying with the conditions laid the OC as well as the conditions of the MCI for approval of Medical Colleges. In the absence of compliance, the approvals would be cancelled