Kochi: The investigation report about the death of Shamna Tasneem, an MBBS student at Government Medical College , Ernakulam has been released.
“Casual, indifferent dealing if not callousness was palpable at every stage in the care and treatment given to the patient”, reveals the report . Shamna had died after she was administered an injection.
According to the report, submitted by the team headed by the Joint Director, Medical Education (JDME), Dr.K. Sreekumari, the “patient was not ventilated even during critical stages and no valid reason was put forward in this regard”.
It further stated that after the patient developed respiratory distress it took nearly 25 minutes in shifting her to the ICU. Ms. Tasneem passed away of a severe allergic reaction to ceftraixone injection on July 18.
The report goes onto add that the basic life support system’s were missing at the nurse’s station. Administration of life saving medicines like adrenaline and atropine to the patient were delayed by five minutes.
Allergic reactions cause immediate death, unless antidotes are administered immediately, said senior doctors.
In its conclusion, the investigation report pointed out that the house surgeon Dr Bino Jose, did not bother to inform the medical officer, hence house surgeon protocol was not worked out by the Department Head, House Surgeons, Dr Jilse George. House surgeons are not supposed to work independently.
The victims family allege that her condition was kept from them throughout. According to a senior medical practitioner, the report revealed that her pupils were mid dilated at 3.35.” Mid dilation of the pupils is a sign of the beginnings of brain death,” he added.
“She was taken to Rajagiri Hospital despite her ECG showing no activity at 3.45pm. We get to know about the issue only by 8 pm,” said the family.
K A Abooty, Shamna‘s father while speaking to the press stated that he had approached both home and health secretaries, asking them to change the investigating officer, as they preferred a senior female officer on it.
“She was my hope and would have been the first doctor from our village. Apart from being good at studies she used to respect teachers. It is depressing that she died while she was under the care of her professors,” said Abooty.
The hospital authorities remained tight lipped about the report.